Working within the Renewable Energy team of one of the biggest underwriters of renewable energy in the world, this is an ideal opportunity for someone with a passion for green energy who wants to join a well established, top quality insurer who will provide solid progression opportunities.
You will provide expert engineering advice on renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, battery energy storage, hydro, geothermal, wave, tidal and other related technology
You will work closely with underwriters in the Renewable Energy team, brokers, project developers, manufacturers and related parties to enhance the firm's role as a leading risk partner to clients by providing risk management advice and services. This may take a variety of forms, including formal and informal support of underwriters in the assessment of renewable energy risks, on-site project assessments and technical advisory services, delivery of thought leadership articles, and other strategic and day-to-day engineering input.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a professional background in renewable energy, hold a degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline, and be passionate about working in and learning about both renewable energy and the global insurance industry. The candidate must be capable of analysing and explaining complex engineering subjects to non-engineers through a variety of forums, including in-person training sessions, broker and client meetings, seminars and conferences, white papers, etc.
- Reviewing, interpreting and summarising third-party technical risk information for the underwriting team to achieve a preferable risk selection;
- Reviewing risk survey reports on renewable assets underwritten to verify clients' risk mitigation approaches and to provide them with comprehensive risk assessments and risk improvement recommendations;
- Attending site visits to operational renewable projects with brokers and insureds;
- Preparing underwriting technical briefings, training resources, and global market trends analysis for onshore and offshore wind power, solar and battery storage, hydro, geothermal, wave and tidal energy risks;
- Working in consultation with the Head of Engineering to manage external risk surveyors including negotiating fees, directing field risk engineers and interacting with the insured and broker to ensure high quality reports are delivered on time;
- Maintaining a knowledge base of relevant developments in technology, underwriting, market updates to assist in informed underwriting decisions and feed into our risk pricing;
- Working in tandem with business development and marketing colleagues and external partners to develop industry leading research, reports and other media that help enhance the firm's Renewables brand and reputation for market-leading underwriting expertise and risk mitigation services;
- Preparing and delivering briefings and presentations to colleagues and members of our broker and underwriting network on project and technology specific issues and risks, to develop the firm's reputation as a centre of excellence for renewable energy underwriting.
Required Education, Training & Experience:
- Educated to a degree level (2:1 or higher) in mechanical or electrical engineering or a relevant scientific discipline;
- Minimum of 2 years' work experience in the development, construction, or operation of renewable energy projects, a technical advisory firm or a renewables manufacturing company;
- Underwriting experience and/or relevant insurance qualifications is beneficial;
- Highly motivated self-starter who can quickly assess marketplace opportunities and analyse and assess those opportunities for the benefit of the firm and its clients;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite applications (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Ability to write accurate and concise reports that highlight findings and recommendations;
- Strong public speaker who displays confidence when engaging with various external and internal stakeholders, clients and prospects;
- Demonstrated rigour and work ethic;
- Ability to multi-task and manage conflicting priorities;
- Excellent team-working skills;
- Comfortable with a reasonable amount of out-of-office travel, including site visits.