The Controls team is responsible for strengthening and (where necessary) implementing and monitoring effective control frameworks so as to remove or minimize potential risks to customers. The team works closely with other areas within Governance & Controls, including Conduct, Customer Relations & Quality Assurance, as well as the wider business.
Providing oversight and reporting across the wider organisation, ensuring compliance with all risk, regulatory and governance requirements.
You will play a key part of engaging and communicating with multiple stakeholders, undertaking a range of activities to help strengthen the business.
- Reporting to the Head of Conduct, Controls & Transformation, you'll foster strong relationships across the business to provide effective support and guidance to SMF and executive control owners to ensure they can appropriately mitigate risks through effective controls frameworks.
- Support with consistent embedding of the control framework across the business, specifically to develop and embed the 1st Line Control Framework Strategy
- Support the roll out a robust 1st Line Control Catalogue and provide on-going effective management and upkeep particularly focusing on supporting the business identifying new controls as part of new projects, new processes, and as a result of analysis of issues (Risk events, Audits etc)
- You will design and lead the execution of a risk based controls assurance testing regime to understand the:
- Adequacy of the first line control environment;
- Delivery of desired customer outcomes across all key journeys; and
- Ongoing compliance with Financial Services regulation.
- You will own the Customer Outcome Testing framework, monitoring and oversight.
- You will maintain and deliver a structured controls and customer outcome testing plan to include method, levels of sample testing, timelines for completion, documented findings and agreements of remedial actions plans.
- You will work with the business identifying 1st line control framework enhancements and processes across end to end customer journeys
- Maintain oversight of the Core Control Database, working with the business to ensure it is accurate and actions are kept up to date.
- Identify and report on control insights and trends to senior management.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with 2LOD and Internal Audit to achieve a co-ordinated and integrated programme of assurance as well as contribute to the ongoing development of the internal control culture.
- Working closely to support 2LOD in the delivery of the Risk Management Framework and Internal Control Policy
- Assist in the development of Training material to aid the education of the UK Business
- Aid in the completion of rule mapping within the Core Control Database
- Execute all responsibilities in an increasingly efficient way seeking out opportunities for innovation, continuous improvement and digitisation.
- Deputise for Head of Conduct, Controls and Transformation as required
- Work with Risk and Control advocates across the business areas to develop best practice and drive consistency
- Execute all responsibilities in an increasingly efficient way seeking out opportunities for innovation, continuous improvement and digitisation
- Work closely with all members of the department to achieve the overall purpose and operating plan
- Work closely with colleagues in 1LOD and 2LOD to enhance our control environment.
Skills and experience
- Broad understanding of the regulatory requirements that apply to a financial institution (ideally an insurance company)
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following Governance, Audit, Risk or a Controls role
- A good understanding of risk and control assessment techniques, frameworks and methodologies
- Experience of designing and performing end to end Controls Assurance Testing
- Well organised and able to prioritise workload in line with tight deadlines and work effectively under pressure
- Highly numerate, with excellent analytical and problem solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent team player with ability to working closely with others to deliver results
- Demonstrate an ability to think and reason logically
- Strong relationship and senior stakeholder management skills
- Excellent written communication - business and project reports
- Exceptional communication skills - ability to communicate effectively with anyone in any environment, e.g. able to translate complex / technical issues to meet the audience's competency level