Oliver James are currently working with a leading insurance business who are looking to find a Database specialist on a permanent basis. The Database specialist will assist in troubleshooting current SQL server database issues, look at performance improvements, database upgrades, provide support and maintain SSIS and SSRS code. Excellent knowledge of SQL Server, SSIS and SSRS is required for this role although it's not production support role.
This is a London based role requiring 2-3 days work onsite.
Strong communication skills are required as the Database Specialist works closely with our internal IT team and external teams. External teams include Managed Service Providers, Vendors and Enterprise IT teams.
The candidate must be a self-starter to learn how our business and systems work. They must have the curiosity and initiative to explore and understand our current application framework. They must be proactive in asking questions to learn and to connect business/applications/process within our organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Work with technical teams to look at improving current database systems and environments.
- Evaluate and understand all SSIS packages and look at ways to improve and standardize the code/functions.
- Document all SSIS and SSRS environments including how they are accessed.
- Plan SQL upgrades and work with development teams to ensure that their applications run on the new versions
- Suggest ways to improve systems with new SQL features.
- Provide level 2 support and guidance to MSP support teams as needed.
- Work with external IT teams as part of larger projects.
- Able to manage their own individual projects efficiently and to schedule with minimal oversight.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- DBA experience including standard DBA functions such as troubleshooting performance issues, tuning, ensuring that the SQL environment is set up as per best practice
- Define a set of standards for databases and ensure that they are rolled out to all systems
- Create and execute SQL Queries, Functions and Stored Procs on SQL Server - 5+ years' experience
- SSIS - experience with writing and updating SSIS packages
- SSRS - experience with updating and creating new reports.
- Upgrading SQL Server databases
- Design and tune SQL Queries
- Profile SQL Statements for any performance issues
- Working knowledge of Dev tools like Visual Studio, GIT and Jira
- Experience in an Agile environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies
- Teamwork and cooperation - ability to work effectively with business and IT teams to achieve goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-Starter - Ability to work independently and take ownership
- Detail oriented with strong planning and organization skills
- Willing to learn, develop and maintain multiple applications
- Experience working with Managed Service Providers and external development teams
- Problem solving - understand issues/problems and provide alternate solutions in a timely manner
- Insurance industry experience
You must live and have the right to work in the UK to apply. If you are interested in this role then please apply below.