The Controller is an experienced financial professional who provides insurance accounting technical expertise, strategic leadership and direction, and ensures the timely and accurate reporting of the monthly and quarterly financial statements and corresponding reports. The position oversees the financial operations of the company and manages the financial accounting and financial operations teams. This role is currently overseeing a team of 6 professionals and reports to the CFO.
- Prepare and analyze the Company's financial statements including quarterly and annual statements prepared and presented on a GAAP and Statutory basis.
- Manage the General ledger including posting GL entries, preparing the trial balance, reviewing and approving the journal entries of staff, and closing the books monthly and quarterly on a four-day schedule.
- Manage data from various source systems (including the company's data warehouse) and develop meaningful analysis and useful reports.
- Present financial analysis, findings, and results to the CFO and other Executive Leadership.
- Prepare internal monthly management reports and analyze actual results to plan and vs year-over-year results.
- Assist in the preparation of annual financial statement and operating plans.
- Handle process improvements for the finance and accounting systems as necessary.
- Maintain the Company's general ledger, assessing technology utilization in the financial processes and developing annual plans for developments on key application systems.
- Manage the external financial statement audit process.
- Direct staff including training, career development, performance objectives and evaluation, recruitment and staff retention.
- Degree in Accounting or Finance; MBA or Masters preferred
- CPA highly preferred
- Experience working in Life Insurance for at least 7 years
- Experience with GAAP and STAT Financial Reporting
- Experience Managing a team for at least 3 years
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal