AVP, Actuary Financial Reporting
Full Time Management
To lead the actuarial STAT and TAX reporting effort for a variety of purposes/audiences, including internal management, the board of directors, state insurance departments, rating agencies, etc. In addition, to provide a wide variety of actuarial services, both routine and project based, that rely on complex actuarial techniques and perspectives, including the evaluation of various product lines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervise the data collection, organization, and reporting of actuarial results for financial statement purposes and lead the verification of the STAT and TAX results; Provide quarterly and year end results to the Accounting Department within pre-determined deadlines
- Lead the actuarial effort in the Insurance Department and other audits, coordinating efforts to address examiners'/auditors' concerns as needed
- Lead the actuarial effort in the development, verification, and analysis of mortality and lapse experience studies
- Manage and maintain in force projection models
- Support a variety of special projects with actuarial focus. Provide projections for various purposes; Cash Flow Testing, business planning, ad hoc analysis
- Manage staff to ensure productivity, timely deliverables, and policy compliance
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
- Ten or more years in the life insurance industry, with broad perspective of a variety of financial aspects of a life company.
- Extensive work with and understanding of valuation, forecasting, and product profitability tools and analyses required.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematically oriented major
- S.A., M.A.A.A. required
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Exposure to a variety of life, annuity, and health products
- Deep understanding of US Stat reserving framework
- Ability to perform hands-on work in actuarial valuation and modeling software
- Drive - Displays motivation, is proactive and resourceful in daily work. Persists to complete responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties, is optimistic and tenacious throughout
- Collaboration - Delegates with appropriate controls; subordinates know expectations and receive regular feedback. Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner
- Adaptable - Builds commitment by using different influencing strategies based on individual's motivation. Rewards and recognizes employees who support team objectives
- Responsible - Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods
- Execution - Encourages motivating, positive, and professional behavior through own actions. Understands and provides support and resources to help team members resolve problems and conflict in a positive and constructive manner. Performs the annual review process and manages performance issues in a timely and effective manner. Builds, communicates and monitors team's development plans effectively.