Here is an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Actuary II!
About the role
The Enterprise Risk Management team is looking for an actuary to join the team! Our team is responsible for risk modeling including various types of stress testing analysis. The analysis that we perform spans our three divisions including life insurance, annuity, and employee benefit products. In this position, you will leverage your knowledge and technical skills to lead and perform modeling tasks, recommend assumptions for stress scenarios, analyze and explain modeling results, and provide insights to management as well as other teams. This role will also be critical to ongoing process improvement and modernization related to the risk modeling processes.
- Leads processes within Enterprise Risk Management and acts as a subject matter expert.
- Responsible for actuarial models, reports, projects, and analysis including but not limited to stress testing, economic capital, pandemic modeling, Own Risk Solvency Assessment (ORSA), and Insurance Capital Standard (ICS). This includes model preparation, model runs, results preparation and analysis, and communication of results.
- Improves processes and creates efficiencies with modeling, reporting, and documentation.
- Understand how the business would be impacted by various types of scenarios and ensure that our risk modeling processes are capturing all material risks.
- Monitor and implement emerging regulatory guidance related to solvency capital calculations.
- Communicates with senior leadership and possibly executive management regarding our ERM risk modeling.
- May assist with division and actuarial team strategy.
- Coordinate with other departments to ensure proper modeling techniques and model calibration.
What we offer you
"If you want to invest in yourself and build a career, this is a great place to work. If you don't want to put in the effort to learn the industry and become a student of the business (it takes real effort!), there are easier places to work." - AVP Internal Sales, Training and Development
"Our company is inclusive of all employees regardless of their personal differences." - Actuary III
"We value learning. We have so many resources - whether that is the Student of the Business courses, sponsorship of professional certifications, or just individual employees being so willing to teach and answer questions." - Financial Reporting Lead Senior Analyst
Benefits and Perks
We don't take a "one-size-fits-all" approach when it comes to our employees. Our programs are designed to make your life better both at work and at home.
- Flexible full-time or hybrid telecommuting arrangements
- Plan for your future with our 401(k) plan and take advantage of immediate vesting and company matching up to 6%
- Paid time away including vacation and sick time, flex days and ten paid holidays
- Give back to your community and double your impact through our company matching
Salary Range: $115,600 - $192,700 plus eligibility for annual bonus program
Your education, experience and skills
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent with strong quantitative background including college level mathematics.
- 5+ years of insurance related actuarial experience.
- ASA or FSA designation required.
- Strong communication skills, particularly as it relates to communication of technical concepts to non-technical audiences. Proven ability to communicate with senior leadership.
- Strong technical skills including spreadsheets and actuarial modeling software.
- Advanced knowledge of actuarial concepts and assumptions used for modeling, risk management, pricing, and/or financial reporting.
- Experienced with automation and process improvement.
- Ability to solve complex actuarial problems independently in a multi-dimensional context.
- Significant knowledge of insurance products and the industry.
- Deep understanding of insurance GAAP and Statutory accounting concepts and of company financials (income statements, balance sheets, investment portfolio, and policyholder reserves).
- Requires development of in-depth knowledge of the company's legal and ownership structure and the regulatory frameworks that apply to the organization.
- Commitment to professional development.
- MG-ALFA experience is a plus.
- Past experience managing or guiding junior actuaries.
- Proficiency in SQL or Python is preferred.
We empower inclusion
We aspire to be the most inclusive insurance company in the country. We're building a place where every employee feels valued, respected, and has opportunities to contribute. Inclusion is about recognizing our assumptions, considering multiple perspectives, and removing barriers.
We accept and celebrate diverse experiences, identities, and perspectives, because lifting each other up fuels thought and builds a stronger, more innovative company.
Creating a world where more people have access to financial freedom
We are a national financial services company dedicated to helping people achieve their financial goals and feel confident about the future. In our daily work, we're guided by the principles of Value, Transparency and Sustainability. This means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and openly so people understand what they're buying, and we design products and operate our company to stand the test of time. We're committed to showing up for our communities, lifting up our employees, and standing up for diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI). Join our team and help us create a world where more people have access to financial freedom.
Employer work visa sponsorship and support are not provided for this role. Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at hire and must maintain authorization to work in the United States throughout their employment with our company.